Thursday, July 9, 2009

There is a story behind this

These days, if someone says they are taking an MAOI, then there's got to be a story behind it. I mean a long, painful story. MAOIs are considered a "last resort" medication, when nothing else has budged the depression. This may give the impression, though, that getting to the point where one has to take an MAOI means that he is at his wits end and at the bottom of the bottom of his depression. No other medication has worked, and he is bedridden. In my case, this is absolutely not true. Remember, if you met me you wouldn't know I am (or rather was depressed). What is the long, painful story part? The psychological story is for another posting. The brief psychiatric story, since for some reason this morning I am feeling semi-loquiacous, is that I have tried about 16 medications plus ECT over the past 12 years. To varying degrees of success. Some haven't worked at all, and others have been wonder drugs. Even the wonder drugs, though, sometimes end up not working any more. I think after all my readings about MAOIs I might be getting tired of people calling MAOIs a "drug of last resort." That's a very negative way to paint a picture of what seems to be a highly effective medication. I'm sure the hypertensive crisis risk is very real. That's why I got a Medic Alert necklace. And that's why I am choosing my foods carefully. But Pinor Noir is so delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment