Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Day 9

Day 9 of being on Nardil has passed. I am up to 45mg, which is starting to reach the effective dose. I feel great. No ill effects from the medication. I was having a horrid week when I started the medication, and now I feel great. Is it placebo effect? Maybe. Is it the medication? Maybe. I noticed I don't have this horrible morning dysphoria anymore. I just wake up and go about my day. I'm jolly, talkative, and energetic. I'm posting blogs at 9:30am when I should be at work. My depression has always been atypical, and they say MAOIs are excellent for atyical depressions. Mine has been atypical in that you wouldn't know that I was depressed unless I told you. Even then, you wouldn't believe me. Even when I was in the damn hospital, people would tell me, "you seem fine." Well, trust me, I was not fine. I am fine right now, though. After taking all of those reuptake inhibitor medications, I think it was time to try something different. MAOIs work different than SSRIs or TCAs. MAOIs don't do reuptake. They go deeper to inhibit the activity of the enzyme monoamine oxidase, thus preventing the breakdown of serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine, thereby increasing their availability. Now this seems more effective than inhibiting reuptake, and of just one neurotransmitter at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment