Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My very first hypertensive crisis

At about 1:00am this morning, after I returned from picking someone up, I lay down in bed to go to sleep. I noticed my heart was pumping very strong and fast. I was short of breath. Ok. So it will pass. Is this an MAOI hypertensive crisis coming on? I started getting scared. Was my anxiety only aggravating it, or was I simply just anxious and panicky about my heartbeat? It wasn't until the severe headache emanating from the back of my neck that I knew something was very wrong. It was my very first MAOI hypertensive crisis. What had I eaten? The only thing I can think of was that at 12:00am I had eaten some Monterey Jack cheese. I've eaten this cheese before with no problem, so what gives? This time it was not melted; I ate it straight from the bag in the fridge. So I know what caused it. I took a Nifedipine tablet, bit into it, and drank the tasty insides. I figured this is pretty serious so I took a cab a few blocks to Pennsylvania Hospitals ER. The nurse took my blood pressure and it was high. Really high. 193/101. Whoa. So I waited for the doctor, which took like 1.5 hours. And during that time my blood pressure went down to a relatively healthy 137/83. I asked them to send me home. They did. I am home now. I need to go to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment